Off Highway Vehicle Forum - ATVs | Dirt Bikes | Snowmobiles | Watercrafts

Off Highway Vehicle Forum - ATVs | Dirt Bikes | Snowmobiles | Watercrafts (http://www.allohv.com/index.php)
-   Polaris (http://www.allohv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Ak Sno's Sleds! (http://www.allohv.com/showthread.php?t=18836)

AK SNO RIDER 01-09-2013 05:57 AM

Ak Sno's Sleds!

This thread is where I am gonna put pics, mods, riding trips, and whatever else for me and my sleds. I'll slowly update this as I have time and/or feel like it. For tonight I'll just toss up a couple of pictures to get started.

This is the most recent picture of my 2004 Polaris RMK 600, 144" track. This is how it currently sits, and from this day forth it will more than likely never change. Been riding this sled for quite a few years and have done a lot to it, I'll post details on what has been done before too long.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...psab10535b.jpg

I just picked up this beast today. 2013 Pro RMK 800, 155" track. Pretty stoked, been wanting a Pro for a long time. This is it fresh out of the back of my truck. I've got some plans for it already, of course. Was able to talk my dealer into taking the red panels and seat off of a 600 they had and swapping them out for the black panels that this sled would have come with. I'm definitely happy with it! Only red 2013 800 around, to their knowledge.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...psa98a78d0.jpg

That's it for right now, there will be lots more to come but I gotta get some sleep tonight...ha.

aarons419 01-09-2013 10:47 AM

Couple of really nice sleds you have there! Looking forward to the updates.

SBA800 01-09-2013 01:53 PM

nice man.
like i said on FFS
finally joining the big boys with that pro rmk haha

AK SNO RIDER 01-10-2013 05:30 AM

So the first thing I did to the new Pro was throw some stickers on her. Just to make him happy, credit for the placement of the 509 decal goes to SBA. Haha.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...pscc81a2d1.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/8...56c7774e_c.jpg

Then I installed a gas rack. Gotta get a can with a real lid though.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8512/8...4854e046_c.jpg

Tonight I temporarily pulled the gas rack off and polished the top of the tunnel with Mothers mag and aluminum polish. Here is a good comparison shot. Might do the tunnel sides sometime too, I dunno, lot of work...

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps0a841316.jpg

And thats it on the pro for now. Not too bad for being the second day I've owned it.

AK SNO RIDER 01-10-2013 05:59 AM

Onto the 600....

This is the oldest pic I could find of it. This is fairly soon after getting it. It was 100% stock. By time I took this pic I had a can and the risers on it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8074/8...4d597fab_z.jpg

I'm gonna skip posting a bunch of pictures of the sled as it progressed and just skip right to the middle of last winter when this happened:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8044/8...7f306e56_z.jpg

A connecting rod snapped and as the broken end flailed around it destroyed the motor....completely. Literally cut the motor in half. It was held together by the head. The head and mag side cylinder are the only parts that survived. Over $3200 and a month later, I had a new motor built from the ground up and was able to get out for a mid April spring ride. As it sits the motor only has around 150 miles on it.

Here's another picture of the sled in it's current state.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8496/8...439ed165_z.jpg

AK SNO RIDER 01-10-2013 06:02 AM

Here is a list of the things I have done to that sled.

Sno-Stuff Can.
Rox 5in pivot risers.
Powermadd Handguards w/ Rox billet mounts.
Skinz Airframe Seat w/ bag.
Gold Finger left hand throttle.
Custom made Alaskan Snow Flap
Avid offset axle w/ Slydog 8in bogie wheels.
WRP Mountain Tuff board inserts.
Ryde FX front shocks w/ progressive springs.
Heavy duty rear torsion Springs.
Hot Dogger.
Polished tunnel.
Red windshield.
Scratchers.
Heavier (10-62) clutch weights.
Lowered chaincase gearing.
Custom SnoBunjie mounts.
Skid Plate.
Gel grip wraps.

It's been a good sled and I really liked it but I was always breaking it, and always modding it to work better for me; I finally decided it was time to buy something that I wouldn't have to do much to, would be reliable up in the mountains, would outperform the old sled, and look badass in the process so I picked up the new 800.

One of these days I'll post up some pictures of past rides I have been on.

SBA800 01-10-2013 02:59 PM

you got a riser on the new one yet? i find i cant stand on my SBA, bars are just to low and standing is so uncomfortable.

AK SNO RIDER 01-11-2013 02:23 PM

The SBA bars are probably lower than the PRO's. Mine are pretty much the perfect height. I'm 5'11" and if anything at all it a 1" rise block would be the max I would want. I don't plan to even do that though. My 6'2" friend said that he could ride it easily, but wouldn't mind another inch of height on them. Definitely not necessary though.

AK SNO RIDER 01-12-2013 05:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I installed an underseat bag yesterday. Went to the Caribou Hills last night and put 57 miles on it. No pics though cuz it was dark. Put the final 43 miles I needed for my 100 mile break in on it today. Can actually do some real riding now!

Also since I have a habit of modding everything I own, I'm already installing a new helix in the secondary clutch. Although when I say "I'm installing" I mean, I 'm breaking three different Torx bits in half before getting angry and deciding I'm bringing the clutch and new helix into the dealer on Monday. Apparently your typical Torx bit isn't very strong....

nosbusa 01-12-2013 11:05 AM

haha, were your tools too cold to work? good to hear a fropessional installated you new clutch......

SBA800 01-12-2013 04:38 PM

thats a nice looking underseat bag, are the sides hard plastic?

may need to get one of them, mine kinda sucks to get into when its cold

AK SNO RIDER 01-12-2013 06:15 PM

The sides are like a semi-rigid weird rubbery cloth material. Not really sure how to describe it. This one isn't particularly easy to get into either. Both sides open up but only part way. The front (facing the gas rack) is easy to get into and has an expandable section though.

The main section has my tow rope, 2 screwdrivers and a pair of needlenoses in it. It will not hold anything else. I've got spark plugs in the front section but I would fit more stuff in there if I needed to.

AK SNO RIDER 01-12-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosbusa (Post 21763)
haha, were your tools too cold to work? good to hear a fropessional installated you new clutch......

Nope haha I was in my nice warm garage. Apparently those screws are too damn tight though. The helix is super easy to change, it's just on the backside of the secondary, held in by 4 screws. If the screws weren't so tight I woulda had it done in 5 minutes. I may just buy a good set of Torx and try again tonight before I take it to the dealer.

AK SNO RIDER 01-13-2013 08:27 AM

Ended up breaking 6 Torx bits in total, and only got 3 screws out. Then stripped the head on the fourth and twisted the bit. Fuck me. So pissed. Going to the dealer Monday.

nosbusa 01-13-2013 11:32 AM

dremmel and a flathead screwdriver

AK SNO RIDER 01-13-2013 04:45 PM

I'm just gonna let the dealer handle it. Probably what I should have done after breaking the first 3 bits...

SBA800 01-13-2013 06:11 PM

lmao. sounds like you had fun.

id let the dealer take car of it now

AK SNO RIDER 01-14-2013 07:13 PM

My awesome Polaris dealer had it done in less than an hour and didn't charge me for it. Stripped bolt out, and installed the new helix for me.

They said it wasn't the first time that's happened. They have even broken Snap-On brand Torx bits that were made for an impact gun. The owner once ground down all four corners (where the bolts are) on a helix because he couldn't get the bolts out.

nosbusa 01-14-2013 09:40 PM

so when they put them back in, they made sure to tighen them extra good right?

AK SNO RIDER 01-14-2013 11:05 PM

Hell I dunno, but I trust them to do it right. Already installed the clutch back on the sled. now if only we had snow....instead of this stupid rain. It rained in the mountains even, so the PERFECT snow that was up there is gone now, before I ever got a chance to hit it up. :(

SBA800 01-16-2013 09:07 PM

lots of snow here finally, cept its all hard as a rock, so no powder for your rmk

AK SNO RIDER 01-17-2013 12:07 AM

Ended up with about 4 inches today. I'm trying to get people together for a Lost lake trip this weekend. So far I have one yes and one maybe...so...we'll see...

nosbusa 01-17-2013 02:20 AM

dont get lost.....

AK SNO RIDER 01-17-2013 02:35 AM

Oh I know right? That place really is the middle of freakin nowhere. Anyway, I'm going to Carter Lake instead. I've never been there and only vaguely know where its at, but I'm going with people who do. Up in the mountains somewhere, thats all i know.... Should have a group of 5 or so people. Gonna be fun. Hope the new sled doesn't give me any problems, I am slightly worried about it.

nosbusa 01-17-2013 02:39 AM

when i was in ak, we were about 25 miles north of delta junction, one of our idiots kids at the school got lost in the woods. took 4 hours to find the moron

AK SNO RIDER 01-17-2013 02:44 AM

Dang dude, that would be scary. Some guy just got lost up in the hills while riding a few days ago, he ran out of gas and tried to walk out. Was out overnight and very hypothermic when he was finally found.

nosbusa 01-17-2013 03:11 AM

its very easy to get lost if you arent careful thats for sure. but it also helps to have a brain too........

AK SNO RIDER 01-17-2013 03:25 AM

Luckily I've got a crazy good sense of direction, carry a GPS and a SPOT emergency locator. Only thing I don't have is an avalanche beacon, which I REALLY need to get...

nosbusa 01-17-2013 11:52 AM

i figured those were built in to the emergency beacons now?

AK SNO RIDER 01-17-2013 03:46 PM

Maybe some, but not the SPOT. A SPOT is a gps device that can send out a ping every 10 minutes showing your location. It can also send out predetermined messages to selected emails or phones, but it's main uses are the HELP function, which sends a message to selected emails or phones saying you are in need of assistance, and most important, the SOS function which alerts emergency response crews of your location and that you need help NOW.

nosbusa 01-17-2013 04:04 PM

gotcha. you definitely need one of those up there in alaska.

AK SNO RIDER 01-18-2013 12:34 AM

Well the riding plans for Saturday have changed once again. On the downside we are going to the Hills instead of up in the real mountains. Pretty irritated by that, but on the plus side I am going with the owners of my local Polaris dealership, some of the employees, their wives, and a friend of mine who also owns a brand new Pro RMK. Me and him will be using is new Silverado crew cab and 24' enclosed trailer. Gonna be a big group of people so as long as the snow is good it should be a blast.

nosbusa 01-18-2013 02:00 AM

have fun..... give me a call when that chevy gets stuck.... i can tow you out with my raptor.

AK SNO RIDER 01-18-2013 11:56 PM

:facepalm: Another change in plans. No more enclosed trailer...Now someone with a broken sled...I don't even know what's going on at this point. Why can't people make things simple?

nosbusa 01-19-2013 01:25 AM

what did you break this time?

AK SNO RIDER 01-19-2013 01:53 AM

Haha a guy on my other forum asked if it was me too. Not me this time though!

nosbusa 01-19-2013 02:25 AM

so, how did it break?

AK SNO RIDER 01-19-2013 02:37 AM

I dunno. I didn't ask. From what I can tell he was looking over his sled to make sure it was good for tomorrow and he discovered something broken in the suspension. I guess I'll be finding out if it was fixable in the morning.

AK SNO RIDER 01-20-2013 12:10 AM

Copying this post over from FFS....

Our group ended up having 14 people! We had the owners of two different dealerships. Both owners of the Polaris dealer I go to, and the owner of the Arctic Cat dealer down near where we were riding.

List of sleds......

7 2013 Pro RMKS.
3 2013 ProClimb Cats.

2 mid-late 2000's Cats.
1 mid-late 2000's Doo
1 2003 RMK

It was way cool having so many sleds together. It was almost funny. There was a 7 truck long train driving up into the high country.

I'll post up pics when I get bored.

AK SNO RIDER 01-20-2013 01:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Picture time!