Off Highway Vehicle Forum - ATVs | Dirt Bikes | Snowmobiles | Watercrafts

Off Highway Vehicle Forum - ATVs | Dirt Bikes | Snowmobiles | Watercrafts (http://www.allohv.com/index.php)
-   Snowmobile General Discussion (http://www.allohv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   opinions on loud exhaust? (http://www.allohv.com/showthread.php?t=455)

SBA800 05-16-2012 03:26 PM

opinions on loud exhaust?

alright, i may be opening a can of worms here from experience on other sites, so lets just try to keep it civil, and see how it goes.

"Cans" or, exhaust, are basically noisemakers for sleds. if you dont do a full out exhaust, pipe, can, etc. you will gain almost no horsepower, and on newer sleds they may shave off 2-3 lbs. but they make a hell of a lot more noise.

what are your general thoughts on these? personally, i think if your sled is a trail sled, its pretty pointless, and can be a pain for homeowners who graciously let trails be huilt on their land. But im not one to go out and say no one should have them. mountain riders, backcountry riders etc. dont have the issue of ticking off homeowners, so i think for them they are great, and honestly some of em sound damn nice!

thoughts?

clkelley 05-25-2012 06:25 AM

I personally don't like just making things louder for the sake of making them louder, of it doesn't really help performance I say leave them alone...

whtrapta 05-25-2012 11:31 PM

I will go louder if it sounds better. Louder that sounds like crap is bad, but more often that not, quiet is the one that sounds bad to me.

NickPic83 05-26-2012 12:10 PM

i like some rumble but for the price they cost it better give me performance too. i did the barkers my rzr and it gave me performance as well as making sound like a harley

AK SNO RIDER 10-29-2012 01:53 AM

I love loud exhaust. It was the first thing I did to my sled. That 2 stroke scream is music to my ears. I ride mostly in the mountains so don't have to worry about annoying anybody, and when I do ride local I don't ride late at night when it would wake people up, so if you ask me theres no harm in my sled being loud. Plus my can was waaay lighter than the stock silencer. And stock exhaust really just doesnt sound very good either...

SBA800 10-29-2012 02:00 AM

im still debating wether i want to swap mine out, it sounds pretty darn good for stock though

Stagnshcky12 10-29-2012 02:52 PM

Not a sled but my quad is way to loud
I bought it with a dg pipe on it, my friends hate riding behind me and my exhaust hits them right in the face
It annoys me sometimes and I feel like a dick trying to ride at night

nosbusa 10-29-2012 06:09 PM

for an offroad vehicle i think its either or. for my bike i say yes all the way

89suburban 10-31-2012 01:28 PM

I hate noise but at but it can be a safety factor flying around blind in the woods, you can hear the other people and avoid a collision.

nosbusa 01-31-2013 02:02 AM

dodging bay area traffic on my way to work, i keep it in first gear and high rpms. i top out at 85 in first, so my bike is screaming loud. that way these idiot drivers can hear me.

aaron is my bitch

AK SNO RIDER 02-01-2013 11:20 PM

I love the exhaust I just put on my new sled. Sounds amazing.