Go Back   Off Highway Vehicle Forum - ATVs | Dirt Bikes | Snowmobiles | Watercrafts > Member's Area > The Champagne Room
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

The Champagne Room The off-topic section.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #31
SBA800
Banned

Yeah I love the new 300's. Been heavily considering one for a while now.

Speed limits here are 60 mph. So no need to go faster. And I don't need flip over backwards speed haha. It would simply be to save gas.

Just can't decide if I want the risk involved. We got shit highways and crap drivers in the city.
SBA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #32

Maxx2893
Super Moderator

I'm toying with the same thing. They sure can save a ton of gas though. I did the math, and if I didn't touch my truck for a year, the bike would be paid for in gas saving. I obviously wouldn't do that, but it shows how much you can save with them. And that' figured at MSRP, not even discounts or anything.

2011 RZR XP. HCR Long Travel, King 2.5" shocks all around, Custom Cage, 30" GBC Kanati Mongrels, Walker Evans, Fuel Safe fuel cell, Parker air pumper, intercom, Beard TZ seats, Mastercraft 5 points, Lowrance Elite 5m GPS
Maxx2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #33
SBA800
Banned

i did the same. would only take a year for it to pay for itself for me as well. and thats with still driving the truck half the time lmao.

i spend 8-9 grand on gas a year.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #34

Maxx2893
Super Moderator

Yeah man, I got over 80 miles a day in my truck, plus my shitty mpg. At least I don't have your prices or I'd be screwed. It's about 3:10 a gallon in DFW right now.

2011 RZR XP. HCR Long Travel, King 2.5" shocks all around, Custom Cage, 30" GBC Kanati Mongrels, Walker Evans, Fuel Safe fuel cell, Parker air pumper, intercom, Beard TZ seats, Mastercraft 5 points, Lowrance Elite 5m GPS
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #35
SBA800
Banned

Yeah, it's crazy up here. Going down slowly for winter though.
Whic doesn't matter haha. Use more gas in winter so it evens out.

My parents were in Fargo last weekend. 3.49 a gallon there. That equates to .95 cents a litre up here.

Our prices.... 1.22 a litre lol.
Ah well.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #36

AK SNO RIDER
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SBA800 View Post
Yeah I love the new 300's. Been heavily considering one for a while now.

Speed limits here are 60 mph. So no need to go faster. And I don't need flip over backwards speed haha. It would simply be to save gas.

Just can't decide if I want the risk involved. We got shit highways and crap drivers in the city.
I say pull the trigger. You'll be happy you did. Highways and drivers here are terrible too but the risk is worth it to me. If you're worried about other drivers, I would just wear a high visibility jacket, get one of those helmets that has the flashing red light on the back, and always use your high beams everywhere you go. Of course it's not foolproof but it definitely helps other drivers see you. Wear full gear--armored riding jacket and pants, armored gloves, over the ankle boots, blah blah blah. Stay aware to everything around you and you'll be fine. You can't enjoy life to the fullest without taking risks.
AK SNO RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #37
SBA800
Banned

Originally Posted by AK SNO RIDER View Post
I say pull the trigger. You'll be happy you did. Highways and drivers here are terrible too but the risk is worth it to me. If you're worried about other drivers, I would just wear a high visibility jacket, get one of those helmets that has the flashing red light on the back, and always use your high beams everywhere you go. Of course it's not foolproof but it definitely helps other drivers see you. Wear full gear--armored riding jacket and pants, armored gloves, over the ankle boots, blah blah blah. Stay aware to everything around you and you'll be fine. You can't enjoy life to the fullest without taking risks.
i know, its still a debate im having with myself haha.

its not so much the other drivers, as it is the highways. theyre so bad.

im talking, the truck jumps sideways on some of the bumps bad. and its the same on corners, straights, etc. i cant imagine it would be at all enjoyable on a bike taking corners on bumps like that.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #38

nosbusa
Full Access Member

just dont lean too far. cmon now, bay area roads are not the greatest either. and gas is $4.05 here. metrically speaking, what the math? and get the damn bike already. both of you. maxx, the msf course will save you on insurance too.
nosbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #39

nosbusa
Full Access Member

here is another thing i found out when shopping for a bike. in the sportbike side, the bigger the motor the better the gas mileage...... i found that odd when i was comparing bikes. the 600 would get around 32mpg. the 750 showed about 37mpg. the 1000 showd about 42mpg. and the busa showed 50mpg. so i went with the busa. but since the smaller motors rev so high, 17,000rpm redline on some of them, i think is why they lose mileage.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #40
SBA800
Banned

gas just went down 6 cent a litre. WOO

hahaha

its now 4.26 a gallon for 87

noah, 4.05 for me would be 1.10 a litre.

except, ours always goes down for winter, since we end up using more. idling, warming it up, colder air = denser = more fuel. etc. evens out. i end up paying about the same amount summer/winter.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #41

nosbusa
Full Access Member

ours dont fucking change...... kinda like maxxs underwear.....
Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #42
SBA800
Banned

yeah, yours doesnt change. its cheaper all the time haha

so i took the quad out today. it was a tad muddy out there. 3 hours of muddy backroad riding. now i gotta clean the damn thing.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #43

Maxx2893
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nosbusa View Post
ours dont fucking change...... kinda like maxxs underwear.....
Hey I change them every major holiday!

Old 09-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #44

AK SNO RIDER
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SBA800 View Post
i know, its still a debate im having with myself haha.

its not so much the other drivers, as it is the highways. theyre so bad.

im talking, the truck jumps sideways on some of the bumps bad. and its the same on corners, straights, etc. i cant imagine it would be at all enjoyable on a bike taking corners on bumps like that.
Trust me they are no better in Alaska...Rough, potholes, dips, bumps, cracks, tar snakes. Constant road work, grooved pavement, uneven lanes and abrupt edges. My hometown has more "Motorcycles use extreme caution" signs scattered about it right now than I care to count. But riding is still fun. Me and my buddy with the '09 CBR put just shy of 100 miles on the bikes tonight. Rode around town, a couple of highways, and a nice twisty back road. It finally stopped raining and we had to take advantage of it.

Loved all the people staring at us, thumbs up, head nods, etc. Little kids especially love the bikes. Loud pipes save lives!
AK SNO RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #45
SBA800
Banned

You take bikes on back roads?!